Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Brokenness, Part 2

I figured that since I had made a certain statement about God ordaining our brokenness which goes against what many Christians and churches teach, I ought to defend my statement. Some are quite uncomfortable with certain aspects of God's exercising His sovereignty, even though Scripture assumes God's total authority and righteousness in it. First off, does God ordain my pain?

Example 1: Joseph. What does he say when he reveals to his identity to his brothers, after years and years of slavery, imprisonment?

4So Joseph said to his brothers, "Come near to me, please." And they came near. And he said, "I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. 5And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life. 6For the famine has been in the land these two years, and there are yet five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. 7And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. 8So it was not you who sent me here, but God. He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt. (Genesis 45:4-8, ESV)

Example 2: Paul. I referred to him as an example. Here is the text:

7So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment